Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Week 1

The week of classes was interesting.  I was a little afraid that all the students wouldn't get along, but I didn't need to worry at all.  Everyone was extremely nice and we all became fast friends.  I worked well with everyone that I was paired, or grouped with which made things so easy.  We learned about what that we were going to ecovillages in groups and offering them loans.   We learned the EDE diagram which explains the major parts of ecovillages and we learned how to teach the villagers about them.  We learned about them so much that I could probably tell you about them, eyes closed,  forwards and backwards.  
As the week went on we got closer to all of our new friends and got accustomed to our new home.  We no longer cared when we were cat called walking down the street, which happens often, and the taxis are going to stop and honk at you for a ride no matter what you do.  We also have gotten used to crossing the road.  The first day was a bit overwhelming, crossing a very busy highway, jumping the barrier to cross the other side.  Cars do not stop here, in fact they don't even slow down.  

Something else that is overwhelming is the french.  I understand a lot more than i thought i would but I can't speak it.  They also tend to speak a lot of Wolof here.  In fact that is all our mother speaks so we have been trying to learn small words so that we can communicate. We all got senegalese names from our homestay families.  Mine is Seynabou or Nabou for short, Casey is Ouleye and Jess is Nafie.  I think they are so much fun and our family actually uses them a lot.Tonight we are having a party for the new years.  It's really going to be weird not being home for the first time for new years.  But I have been sick all day, I didn't go to classes and have not been in a good place.  Jess had the same thing and it took her two days to get over it.  I don't think  we are sick from the food or from the water or anything because Casey didn't get sick and she has been eating the same things we have.  I hope that I'll be ok for tonight but I guess we are just going to have to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment